My first monograph, a cultural history of the idea of higher-dimensional space, was published by Oxford University Press in 2018.
- Review by Pippa Goldschmidt in the TLS [log-in required]
- Review by Andre Michael Hahn in Isis [log-in required]
- Review by Deanna K. Kreisel in Victorian Studies [log-in required]
- Review by Maxim Shadurski in The Wellsian [link to index]
- Review by Paul March Russell in Foundation
While I was writing the PhD thesis that eventually became this book, I kept a blog – The Fairyland of Geometry – to record findings that did not make it into the finished essay and to keep track of my research activities. I don’t post there anymore but if you’re interested in the fourth dimension, the Victorian fin-de-siecle, or occultism, this may be of interest.
I used to run the MA Cultural and Critical Studies at Birkbeck College, University of London, and now primarily teach on the MA Creative and Critical Writing. My departmental profile is here.
- ‘Unplumbed Space: Weirding the Void’, Textual Practice, 31:6 (2017), 1101-1116. [Shortlisted for the SFRA Pioneer Award]
- ‘“Vertige de l’hyperbole”: the humours of the High-Rise’, Critical Quarterly, 58:1 (2016)
- ‘Analogy and the Dimensional Menagerie’, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, 39: 2 (2014), 113-129.
- ‘Knot Thinking’, Critical Quarterly, 56:2 (2014)
- ‘The Higher Spaces of the Late Nineteenth-Century Novel’, 19: Interdisciplinary Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century, no. 17 (2013)
- ‘Dracula and the New Horror Theories’, in The Cambridge Companion to Dracula ed. by Roger Luckhurst (Cambridge: CUP, 2017)
- ‘‘Strange Diagonal that was Thought to be So Pure’: Tom McCarthy’s Geometric Exhortation’, in Calling All Agents, ed. by Dennis Duncan (Canterbury: Gylphi Press, 2016)
- ‘‘On the Eve of the Fourth Dimension’: Utopian Higher Space’, in Utopian Spaces of Modernism: Literature and Culture, 1885-1945, ed. by Rosalyn Gregory, Benjamin Kohlmann (Palgrave, 2012)
My Google Scholar Citations are here.